Assistant professor / lecturer
Amazing student experiences, state-of-the-art facilities, and opportunities to make your place in the world.UPEI continues to excel in student enrolment, research, and faculty awards.Student Lab Demonstrator, Tutor and Instructor (Up to 50 Positions) - Department of Biology - Faculty of Science Competition Number:Position:Contract:Salary:Term:
September 2019 – April 2020
The Biology Department invites applications from junior and senior Biology students as well as graduate students interested in demonstrating and/or instructing laboratories or marking in the following Biology courses:
Fall Semester: Environmental Biology (Bio 1010), Introductory Microbiology for the Health Sciences (Bio 1060), Human Anatomy (Bio 1210) , Intro Biology Genes and Cells (Bio 1310), Zoology (Bio 2040), Ecology (Bio 2220), Genetics I (Bio 2230), Human Genetics (Bio 2240), Human Anatomy & Histology (Bio 2260), History of Biology (Bio 3120), Plant Community Ecology ( Bio 3140), Intro Cell Physiology (Bio 3260), Research Methods &Communications (Bio 3310), Life of Mammals (Bio 3710), Marine Biology (Bio 3910), and Watershed Ecology (Bio 4620). And other courses as the need arises.
Winter Semester: Human Physiology (Bio 1220), Intro to Organisms (Bio 1320), Botany (Bio 2020), Microbiology (Bio 2060), Cell Biology (Bio 2210), Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (Bio 3240), Animal Behaviour (Bio 3350), Mol. Biology Techniques (Bio 3520), Evolutionary Biology (Bio 3820), Comp. Enviro Vertebrate Physio (Bio 4020), Conservation Genetics (Bio 4130), Biogeography and Macroecology (Bio 4520), Marine Community Ecology (Bio 4650), Biology of Cancer (Bio 4720) and other courses as the need arises.
- Could include setup/dismantling, demonstrating, assisting or instructing in the lab, conducting tutorials, and the marking of exams and assignments
- The successful applicants will be required to participate on a weekly basis for the duration of the fall and/or winter semester (3-4 hrs/lab/week)
- Be WHMIS trained prior to working in the laboratory
- Have knowledge of the laboratory material and an acceptable academic record (min.2.7 GPA)
Complete applications must include the following:
1) Please indicate if you are applying to both teach and mark or only to mark relevant courses.
2) Please indicate the laboratory section(s) in which you are interested and the times.
3) Please provide a contact number and e-mail address.
4) All students interested in working in the lab must be WHMIS trained. The WHMIS course is available online (see the Human Resources web site)
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Applicants from Competition # 79S19 need not apply.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
UPEI encourages all qualified applicants to apply for job openings; however, in keeping with the terms and provisions of the university’s various employment and collective agreements, first priority will be given to internal candidates.
550 University Ave, Charlottetown 1-800-606-UPEI or 902-628-4353