The Laboratory for Tissue Development Engineering in the Broad CIRM Center and Department of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of USC, invites applications for a Research Specialist appointment. Applicants are expected to have a related graduate degree in science or engineering discipline (or expect to complete it by the date of hire). Preference will be given to candidates with research experiences in developmental biology, synthetic biology, stem cells and/or tissue engineering, but all interested candidates are encouraged to apply. The position will be fixed term for one year, with possibility of extension based on performance and mutual satisfaction.
The mission of the Laboratory for Tissue Development Engineering is to develop an operative understanding of how cells build tissues. We have an original approach that merges techniques from synthetic biology, developmental and stem cell biology, computational modeling, tissue engineering, among others. Our goals are to promote scientific discovery and the invention of new technologies or therapies in the field of regenerative medicine. For more info see the research page on the lab’s webpage at http://morsutlab.usc.edu .
As we are setting the foundations of the lab, we are seeking energetic and passionate individuals who are excited about our mission and would like to make substantial contributions to its implementation. The successful candidate will develop research projects from start to end, contribute to the ideation and writing of funding applications (grants, fellowships, …), contribute to development of IP, all under the supervision of the principal investigator. As the lab grows, the successful candidate is expected to oversee other lab personnel (technicians, undergraduate students, …) and coordinate the research with postdoctoral scholars, research associates and graduate students.
The lab will have scholars with diverse backgrounds including biology, engineering, computer science, physics, clinical medicine. Successful candidates will be interested in developing strong communication skills, to support another critical mission of the lab, the generation and maintenance of a work environment that is concurrently competitive and healthy, where all individuals can thrive and maximally contribute to the lab as well as their own growth and success.
When applying, please submit the required documentation online; optionally, we encourage to submit a cover letter as an additional document, specifically highlighting why you are interested in joining the lab and what projects you are interested in developing (2 pages max), along with the names of a minimum of two references.
Collaborates with principal investigator and other researchers to plan, design and conduct highly technical and complex research projects. Analyzes research data and provides interpretations. Contributes to the development of research documentation for publication. May supervise other employees engaged in laboratory technical services on a regular or project basis.
- Plans and conducts highly technical and complex research projects, procedures and analyses. Supervises other research personnel in procedures, techniques and use of equipment as needed.
- Evaluates research data requiring significant knowledge of a specialized area of
research. Maintains accurate records. Prepares technical reports and papers.
- Operates and maintains sophisticated laboratory/scientific equipment. Designs, creates or adapts equipment and procedures to meet specific research needs.
- Collaborates with principal investigator and other research personnel to plan and design experiments. Advises on methods for improving experiment results. Reviews progress and discusses with principal investigator.
- Supervises laboratory staff and student workers. Participates in recruiting and hiring of staff. Trains and provides technical guidance as needed. Schedules, assigns and prioritizes work. Monitors and evaluates employee performance and counsels or disciplines as needed.
- Advises on acquisition or enhancement of specialized equipment and laboratory setup or design.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of laboratory procedures and policies.
- Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources and background information in area of specialization to enhance planning and design of experiments.
- Stays current in field of specialization through coursework, reading journals and scientific papers, maintaining professional networks and attending seminars and conferences as appropriate.
Minimum Education: Related graduate study, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related education and experience in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods and ability to supervise on a regular or project basis