The Epidemiology group at Optum is comprised of 50 people, and provides epidemiology consulting and analytic services. The Principal Consultant of Epidemiology will work directly with the Chief Scientific Officer, Epidemiology to augment the Unit’s breadth and reach with respect to strategic consulting and evidence generation in pharmacoepidemiology across all therapeutic areas. The Principal Consultant’s goal is to cultivate and maintain strong client relationships and satisfaction though engagement management and by providing high quality delivery and subject matter expertise. The role will report directly to the Chief Scientific Officer of Epidemiology and will require a senior consulting leader with proven research experience, positive industry reputation, and demonstrated ability to create, develop and deliver on consulting engagements and new service offerings. The candidate should have a strong background in epidemiologic methods, excellent writing and verbal communication skills and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Further, the candidate should enjoy working in teams and be able to explain epidemiologic concepts and methods to colleagues in medicine, regulatory affairs, pharmacology and marketing, and will serve as an internal advisor to our epidemiology staff. Contacts within the pharmaceutical industry or regulatory agencies a plus.Success in this role requires innovation to drive new approaches and products, and services; the ability to lead clients, internal teams, and initiatives; and a talent for developing strong relationships both internally and externally. A successful Principal Consultant not only advises customers on strategy and evidence generation planning, but works actively on research initiatives from scientific protocol development through dissemination. Success in this role depends on the ability to translate expertise in our linked, real-world data assets (administrative claims, normalized EHR data, and avenues for primary data collection) and to leverage the resources of our parent company and other Optum business units to drive unique data and research opportunities. Primary Responsibilities:
- Establish/maintain trusted partner relationships to expand the Optum LS Consulting footprint at designated clients
- Work with client to: (1) lay out strategic roadmap and (2) design of projects to support strategy
- Obtains high client satisfaction scores
- Direct and/or participate in business development, lead proposal writing
- Lead, attend, and participate in internal and external oral presentations
- Maintain a high level of “Optum” visibility by exposing clients to our best and brightest
Project Oversight & Service Delivery (50% Time Allocation):
- Participate in the scientific direction of the Epidemiology group
- Direct responsibility for the oversight, scientific direction, and guide project execution
- Facilitate growth in business segment
- Prepare protocols, deliverables, reports, manuscripts
- Review deliverables/reports by other epidemiologists prior to submission
- Lead/direct client contact
- Lead in a team oriented work climate that enables professional development and encourages creative solutions and strategies
- Support the management of resources within projects/programs
- Support project/program communication plan and execution
- Require that quality assurance methods are implemented within the project/program
- Provide coaching and mentoring of project team with the goal of developing and retaining talent within the organization
- PharmD or MD with significant quantitative or applied research experience may also be considered.
- Minimum 10 years of related research experience, including:
- Experience conducting epidemiologic research in various disease areas with pharmaceutical and device therapies.
- Record of publication
- Demonstrated experience in data driven research.
- Experience with secondary data assets, administrative claims databases or electronic medical record data.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong epidemiologic and statistical methods.
- Business development/proposal writing experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships both internally at UHG and with customers are critical. Skills in interacting with people in sometimes tough situations are critical.
- Ability to travel up to 50%. Travel is required for this role and varies throughout the year (on average once or twice per month).
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
- Job FamilyPharmaceutical Research
- Telecommuter PositionNo
- affordable and quality health care should be available to everyone.
The fraudulent emails, which do not originate from any of UnitedHealth Group’s email domains, or those of any of its operating divisions, supposedly ask recipients to contact the sender to start the company’s hiring process by downloading software and/or requesting a fee. UnitedHealth Group will never request you download software or pay a fee of any sort to explore employment opportunities with our company.
If you wish to verify the legitimacy of any email purporting to have been sent by or on behalf of UnitedHealth Group recruiters, please call 1-800-561-0861 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT, Monday - Friday, for assistance. You also may inquire via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2019 Optum Global Solutions (Ireland) Limited. All rights reserved.
UnitedHealth Group is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or accommodation for any part of the application process, or you encounter technical difficulties, please call 1-800-561-0861 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT, Monday - Friday, for assistance.
UnitedHealth Group is a registered service mark of UnitedHealth Group, Inc. The UnitedHealth Group name with the dimensional logo, as well as the dimensional logo alone, are both service marks for the UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Practitioner / consultant
Boston , United States