Junior industry position
Junior Specialist - Hebrok Lab
Last review date:Thursday, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled. Final date: Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior Specialist - Hebrok Lab
The Hebrok lab at the UCSF Diabetes Center is seeking applicants for a full-time position at the Junior Specialist rank. The focus of our research program is to understand the mechanisms underlying pancreas development and disease, including diabetes and pancreatic cancer. Our group has optimized differentiation conditions to generate functional beta cells from human pluripotent stem cells to study human beta cell biology with the intent of preventing or reversing defective processes that occur during the development and progression of diabetes.
The candidate will provide support for scientists, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students in the lab, including culturing human pluripotent stem cells to generate pancreatic islet cells as well as working with mouse models to validate the function of the cells.
The work includes:
- Transfection and/or viral infection of mammalian cells
- Analysis of cells by immunohistochemistry, qPCR and flow cytometry
- Mouse colony management and assisting with surgery
- The candidate is also required to participate in lab organization tasks such as aliquoting growth factors/small molecules and maintaining lab supplies
- He/She will also design and execute laboratory testing according to standard procedures, make observations and interpret findings
- Specialist appointed at the junior level must possess a BA or BS degree in biological or biochemical sciences (or a related field) by the time of hire.
- Experience with cell culture methodologies.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision are key to this position.
- Experience with animal handling.
- Basic understanding of tissue histology and staining.
- Experience carrying out flow cytometry assays.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02524.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
Get started: press Apply Now
See our Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act Annual Security Reports.
Academic Personnel Recruit